More interesting than black, and easier to pull off than a pair of shorts — the little white skirt is enjoying some time in the sun for multiple reasons. We love the way it makes everything you own look fresh and new, and — as it goes with anything white — the neutral hue magically goes with anything and everything. Bold coloured prints? Tick! Pretty sorbet separates? Indeed. Metallics? You betcha. Now this is the important part — this season's sharpest style come with a point of difference so think trumpet shapes, sheer overlays and asymmetrical edges. Got a case of the Friday fatigues? Brighten your day with one of our five local finds . . .
The '90s were an obvious influence on Bec & Bridge's Spring/Summer '13-'14 collection, with a number of catwalk pieces looking like they may have stepped right out of Kate Moss' wardrobe - circa her Calvin Klein days (and we mean that in a good way). Bias-cut satin slip dresses and camisoles hugged the body, as did a number of seductive, sheer-spliced cocktail dresses that would look equally at home in the boudoir as they would holding up a darkened piano bar. In stark contrast, there were oversized sports-inspired pieces which brought plus-sized appeal via roomy cuts and PE class silhouettes. Boxy biker vests, drawstring-waist leather shifts and loose satin boxer shorts begged for athletic movement. Tight versus oversized, sexy versus sporty, nostalgic versus modern - it's the magical mix that makes us want to be a player on Bec & Bridge's team this season.
- Colours: Navy, black, white, spearmint, mulberry, salmon and silver.
- Trends: The '90s, sportswear, sheer, slip dresses, satin, oversized outerwear, cigarette trousers and midi-length hemlines.
- Key Looks: Sleeveless leather biker vests, sheer-spliced party dresses, satin slip dresses, iridescent sequinned trousers, metallic knits, exposed underwear built into dresses and tops.
- Accessories: Ankle strap pointed toe pumps by Tony Bianco in subdued colourways.
We're in the thick of all things Mercedes-Benz Fashion Week, and we're keeping a keen eye on visiting international style-setters and bloggers. Most important are the buyers who turn up hoping to spy cool new threads and trends to adopt — and this year Shopbop, one of our most visited shopping sites, has its team on the ground here in Sydney. New Yorker Jenny Fuchs is one of Shopbop's fashion buyers, and we asked her to tell us what she brought with her for the trip. In here, you'll find a totally wearable compilation of easy dresses, cool bomber jackets and a colourful clutch — all from a mix of Aussie and international designers. See the pieces (and shop them!) in the gallery, and have a read of Jenny's thoughts on MBFWA.
- On what she's excited to see: I love all the swim shows — they have such a fun vibe! Plus seeing all the Aussie bloggers — their style is amazing and they always represent what’s new from Australian designers.
- Last year's MBFWA: It was a whirlwind! We met so many new designers that are now on our site.
- Australian style: Easy and fun, but still chic — items that can go from the shows and market appointments to a dinner down at Bondi Beach.
The Bec & Bridge aesthetic has always been about achievable fashion and beauty. Both ghd's Alan White and Mac Cosmetics' Nicole Thompson spoke to the brand's desire for the look to be accessible to their girl, with both sexiness and touch of sophistication. Click through to hear how they found inspiration for today's runway show.
- Follow the Bec & Bridge designers on their pre-fashion week journey
- Tried, tested, taken home. Must-have beauty products out this month
- Celebrity editor Jess got her health and fitness in check this week. See how!
- Rainy weather? See what's hitting the cinema this month
- Style stalk: see how our publisher, Marisa, maintains her classic style
- The best hair and beauty looks from our Logies golden girls
- Keen to hit the ground running? We've got the perfect shoe for you
Last year, Bec & Bridge impressed the pants off us with their sexy-Summery fashion week show, so we are keen as mustard to see what they've got in store for us this season. The duo behind the brand, Becky Cooper and Bridget Yorston, let us inside their MBFWA prep, snapping some of the things that keep them busy in the lead up to their Monday 12pm slot on the schedule. From model castings to makeup trials, it's all going on at Bec & Bridge HQ. Take a look . . .
There's not much we don't love about Easter: hot cross buns, chocolate rabbits and oh, the little thing of a four day weekend. Winner! Whether you're planning on staying on the couch all weekend (no judgement from us) or are heading off on a mini-break, you'll still want to look stylish, amiright? I asked our Sugar editors for the two items they couldn't get through the long weekend without. Step inside for some serious shopping inspiration. . .
No Essential Wardrobe is complete without a stand-out, head-turning, meet-me-on-the-D-floor party dress. Yes, we know. separates feel fresher this year after the dominance of 'The Dress' in seasons past — but believe us when we say that you will never regret investing in one drop-dead-amazing frock for the festive season. Sequinned or studded, backless or sheer — pick on decorative trick then keep the rest super simple. Add a pair of no-fuss pointy-toed pumps and you're done. NYE, here you come!
Bec & Bridge Sydney Warehouse Sale
When: Thurs 13th 9am - 9pm and Fri 14th 8am - 7pm
Where: Unit 4, 20 - 22 William St, Alexandria, NSW
What: Fashion week samples, past season styles and swim all reduced!
Lucette Sydney Warehouse Sale
When: Thurs 13 8am - 9pm and Fri 14th 8am - 7pm
Where: China Heights Gallery, Lvl 3, 16 - 28 Foster St, Surry Hills, NSW
What: Up to 85% off current and past season collections.
It looks Robert Pattinson may have done a spot of shopping for girlfriend Kristen Stewart during his quick trip to Sydney last week. That, or K.Stew's stylist is familiar with Australian designers. Kristen stepped out yesterday to honour Jodie Foster with the Cecil B. DeMille Award in Beverly Hills. Apart from her very cute handbag (hello there Simon Baker), Kristen kept the focus on the chic grey 'Luna' dress from Bec & Bridge's not-yet-released A/W '13 collection. A simple pair of black pointed-toe wedges finished the look. Likey? You might need to put that one on pre-order. Take a look at Kristen's sexy shift, from all the angles . . .