When it comes to fashionable best friends, it doesn't get any more glamorous than Yasmin Le Bon and Little Joe Woman designer Gail Elliott. As card carrying members of the '90s supermodel pack, these two conquered international runways and magazine covers, and remain firm friends today. Yasmin is currently in Sydney to hang with gal-pal Gail, so we took the opportunity to put these besties to the BFF test! See what they had to say about each other. . .
Yasmin on Gail:
- What were your first impressions of Gail? I was so in awe of her beauty, and although she was this tall, graceful, willowy creature, she had an inner strength. She totally took me under her wing.
- What was your favourite modelling gig working with Gail? We always had fun at the shows, even when it became a slog. We have done some truly terrible jobs together. We once did this nine day trip to Morocco, we both only got about two pictures. . . but came back with ridiculous amounts of junk from the bazaars. I think doing Azzedine Alaia's shows were some of the best fun we had back in the day.
- Gail’s style in three words is: Cool, effortless, yet chic.
- What is the one item of clothing that Gail ALWAYS wears? Her knickers — duh!!!
- What are her favourite designers? Azzedine Alaia, Isabel Marant, DVF, Francisco Costa.
- Have you picked up any style tips from Gail? I absorb everything about Gail when I am with her. She is great with accessories, and is brilliant at mixing vibes without looking like a fashion victim, whereas I am much more of a clown.
- If you could steal one item from her wardrobe, what would it be? Her pale green Hermés crocodile Kelly bag!!!!
What do you wish Gail would wear more often? A bin liner!!!
To hear what Gail said about Yasmin . . .
- What were your first impressions of Yasmin when you met her? The first time I met Yasmin was during Milan Fashion Week in the lobby of a hotel probably 27 years ago. I knew of her and had seen her beautiful photos in magazines but in person she was even more incredible looking, but also warm and unaffected — and still remains the same today.
- What was your favourite modelling gig working with Yasmin? I can't think of a favourite as there were so many. Being on the show circuit of Milan, Paris, London and New York twice a year for so many years meant we spent months working everyday together. We'd do up to 27 shows in Milan alone so spent a lot of time together. Some were fun times and others were simply very hard work. We did thousands of shoots together to Turks & Caicos, Mexico, UK, Caribbean, Los Angeles, all over the USA and spent a lot of time laughing.
- Yasmin’s style in three words is: Chic, stylish & effortless.
- What is the one item of clothing that Yasmin ALWAYS wears? Her style of dressing changes — one day she could be wearing a pretty lace dress, another could be an African print with a striped cashmere sweater, but she always has a packet of Triple XXX Extra Strong Mints in her handbag!
- What are her favourite designers? Some of her favourite designers are Christopher Kane, Marni, Manolo Blahnik and Little Joe Woman!
- Have you picked up any style tips from Yasmin? I always pick up style tips from Yasmin; she's a huge inspiration in my life.
- If you could steal one item from her wardrobe what would it be? Her shoe collection...it's ENORMOUS and beautiful!!!