Our world was filled with colour this week — it feels like Spring has officially sprung, and we couldn't be happier! BellaSugar editor Alison was super busy as it seems like the beauty world is spinning out new and beautiful products faster than we can keep up (but we sure aren't complaining!), PopSugar's Jess got acquainted with a few Aussies icons — namely, the fabulous Kath and Kim and the lovely and gorgeous Delta Goodrem (stay tuned) — and FabSugar's Ali caught spring fever as she checked out new season races headwear and some beautiful blooms at her local florist. But that's not all we got up to — sit back and peruse through the gallery to see what else kept us busy. Oh, and happy weekend!
The foxy ladies of Fountain Lakes are back and bigger than ever — literally, as they’re returning to the big screen — in the new "filum" Kath & Kimderella, which is out on Sep. 6. If you’ve watched the trailer and realised you don’t exactly know what to expect from the movie, rest assured that you’re not the only one because the details have been kept under wraps. We went to the Sydney premiere and can fill you in on some of the blanks — don’t worry, it’s a spoiler-free zone ahead.
The entrance of Hoyts at the Entertainment Quarter was awash with Kath and Kim lookalikes (with some Sharons and Kels) awaiting the arrival of their favourite characters at the Sydney premiere of Kath & Kimderella last night. The screams intensified as Kel Knight (Glenn Robbins) pulled up in his butcher’s car with Sharon Strzelecki in the passenger seat — he told us that she actually got a bit car sick on the way — and then a bright pink hummer arrived carrying the movie’s leading ladies, Kath Day-Knight (Jane Turner) and Kim Craig (Gina Riley). The foxy ladies of Fountain Lakes returned to the red carpet after Sunday night’s Melbourne premiere in different outfits from the movie — Kath in a shiny white jumpsuit and Kim in a blue, embellished, ruffled mullet-style dress. The cast linked up with designer Alex Perry for some group shots — Kim said she was the “new Megan Gale” and Sharon tried to get a fashion deal happening with her own sports line — before making the press rounds. Check out what they had to share with us — Kath & Kimderella is out Sep. 6.
- Kath on her premiere preparation: “I’ve been filled and grilled and sucked and plucked, getting ready for tonight — it’s a very exciting night.”
- Kath on the bling in her hair: “It’s stuck with super glue so I’ll probably have to cut it out. But that’s what you do for the fans.”
- Sharon on the fans: “There are so many lookalikes! I didn’t know who was the real Mrs. D, or who was the real me, actually! I got a bit confused. There were so many good Sharon lookalikes.”
- Sharon on her favourite thing about Italy: “Look, I had an unfortunate accident on my way back from Italy because Kim’s luggage fell out of the overhead cabin and hit me on the head. So I couldn’t actually remember much of it. But Italy’s a beautiful country — the food, the people. The people are gorgeous. I had a great time.”
- Sharon’s advice on what people should do in Italy: “I don’t even have the time to tell you, but the Panthenon (Pantheon), the Collectimaseum (Colosseum) — that’s amazing, go and see that. There are so many things. It’s not Fountain Gate — it’s not Fountain Lakes either — but it’s pretty nice.”
- Kel on seeing Kath with another man: “You know what? People have often asked me that question. Italian men don’t threaten me. I saw her down at the fruit and veg shop the other day, and she was squeezing Tony’s avocadoes, and I said, ‘Fine by me, I know exactly what you’re doing. Good luck to you, I say.’ She’s safe as far as I’m concerned.”
Last night I accompanied Pop to the Sydney premiere of Kath & Kimderella at Sydney's Fox(y) Studios, only to be greeted with a spectacular of style that could only be described as nice... different... unusual. The fans got into the Fountain Lakes spirit of things with their best sartorial tributes to Kath's retro-fabulous take on 'tizzy', Sharon's sports-mad style and Kim (aka "the new Megan Gale") in her glamorous Gypsy Wedding-inspired get-up. Even Alex Perry got in on the fun! We've already taken some styling notes from the Day-Knight household, so we'll just let you enjoy last night's red carpet shenanigans, sans style commentary. The pictures really do speak for themselves . . .
Have you ever seen a premiere more fun than this? Fountain Gate shopping centre hosted the Melbourne premiere of Kath & Kimderella last night and the “filum’s” main players were out in force on the red carpet. Kath (Jane Turner) turned up in her best ’80s attire, a shimmery blue playsuit, and accessorised with sequins and beads in her curly mop of her. Her daughter, Kim (Gina Riley), brought out all the stops in a massive pink gown complete with a tiara that read ‘Princess.’ Sharon Strzelecki (Magda Szubanski) wore a jazzed up version of her netball uniform and pulled a Usain Bolt pose, while leading men Kel (Glenn Robbins) and Brett (Peter Rowsthorn) were on hand to support their ladies. Other guests also got into the mood of the premiere, such as Ruby Rose, who wore a T-shirt featuring Sharon and wore curlers in her hair. Kath & Kimderella is released on Sep. 6.
Fountain Gate shopping centre (where else!) played host to the red carpet premiere of Kath & Kimderdella last night, with the ladies of Fountain Lakes taking to the red rug in their foxiest ensembles. We gleaned up some fresh fashion tips from Kath, Kim and Sharon that we thought were well worth sharing. Keep reading for your Kath & Kim style guide, then step inside to see their red rug romp!
- Bum bags are de rigueur for hands-free posing on the red rug. Invest in a classic mottled-leather style for staying power. Failing that, get your downtrodden husband date to carry your handbag for you.
- If the dress code reads "black tie" it actually means "tizzy". Go forth in a riot of taffetta, sequins and/or polyester fabric you can find. Shine is your friend.
- An ankle bootie is just the ticket with a three quarter-length jodhpur jumpsuit.
- Jump on the sports luxe bandwagon by glamming up your ol' faithful netty uniform. Blinged-up trackie dacks are the only way to be a centre-court horn bag.
- When it comes to accessories, think nice, think different, think unusual; bow-topped belts, hair jewels and matching earring/necklace combos prove that more actually is more. Foxy!
If you flicked channels or moved away from the TV during the commercial breaks of the Logies on Sunday night, you may have missed the trailer for Kath & Kimderella, which aired just before Gina Riley and Jane Turner took the stage to present an award as their other alter egos, Prue and Trude. In the film, the foxy ladies from Fountain Lakes head overseas, more specifically to Positano, Italy, for a whirlwind adventure. Along for the ride is Sharon (Magda Szubanski), and though we don’t see them in the trailer, Glenn Robbins and Peter Rawsthorne return as Kel and Brett respectively. Prue and Trude also make a cameo.
We don’t get to see much of the film’s plot in this teaser, but it’s still fun seeing the characters we fell in love with all those years ago. The movie is released on Sep. 6 so check out the trailer after the jump.
Fans of Kath & Kim, rejoice! After three years’ absence from our TV screens the Logie Award-winning foxy ladies of Fountain Lakes will be back bigger than ever — literally, as they’re going to hit the big screen! Screen Australia will provide funding for the project, which will be brought to us by the same creative team behind the original TV series. Titled The Kath & Kim Filum, the movie will follow mother-daughter duo Kath Day-Knight (Jane Turner) and Kim Craig (Gina Riley) as they “head overseas on a whirlwind tour of love, lust and revolution.” This isn’t the first time the girls have gone down the movie route — in 2005 they starred in the feature-length parody Da Kath & Kim Code (sending up The Da Vinci Code), but that was made for TV. And we know from past experience that as much as you can love a TV show, it doesn’t always translate to a hit movie. Will you watch The Kath & Kim Filum when it’s released?